Truck Accident Lawyer in Columbus, Ohio
Handling Complicated Cases for Columbus Truck Crash Victims
Commercial trucks deliver all types of goods to stores, houses, warehouses, and other locations across the United States. When you are driving in the Columbus area, it is always likely that you will encounter a semi-truck, tanker truck, flatbed trailer, and other types of trucks. These vehicles can weigh up to 80,000 pounds when loaded, and they dwarf most other vehicles on the road.
While commercial trucks are necessary for our lives and economy, they can also cause devastating damage and injuries when they crash. These are unique vehicles, and there are unique risks of crashes, and victims can face difficult or even fatal aftermath.
Truck accident insurance claims and lawsuits can be technical and challenging, so you should always have an experienced Columbus truck accident attorney handling your claim. Contact The Jones Firm for the help you need today.
COMMERCIAL TRUCK CRASHES
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reported the following for a recent year in the United States:
- 450,000 accidents involving large trucks
- 102,000 truck accidents that caused injuries
- 4,237 fatal truck accidents
- 133 fatalities from truck accidents in Ohio
While trucks can be involved in head-on collisions and other common crashes, these vehicles can regularly be involved in the following:
- Cargo spills
- Underride accidents
- Override accidents
- Jackknife accidents
- Runaway trailers
All of these can result in severe injuries to motorists, who can have their lives completely altered in an instant.
DEVASTATING LOSSES FROM TRUCK CRASHES
Trucks can destroy smaller vehicles, causing many traumatic injuries to victims. Some crash victims might need the following and more:
- Emergency transportation in an ambulance
- Emergency trauma care
- Diagnostic testing
- Rehabilitative therapy or time in a rehab center
- Medication and medical equipment
- Home health care
- Time away from work due to treatment or injuries
- Change in careers and reduced income due to impairments
This can lead to piles of medical bills, the need for ongoing treatment and expenses, lost earning ability, and much more.
In addition to overwhelming financial losses, severe injuries can also cause:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental trauma
- Permanent disabilities
- Permanent disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
These intangible losses should never be discounted and should always be calculated by an experienced truck accident lawyer in Columbus.
FINANCIAL RECOVERY AFTER A TRUCK ACCIDENT
Truck crash victims can recover for their losses if someone else’s negligence caused the crash. There are different parties that are commonly negligent in truck accidents, and the first step of the claim process is identifying liable parties. Some liable parties might include:
Truck drivers have a major responsibility – to operate large and dangerous vehicles in a safe manner. Even though these drivers have special training and commercial driver’s licenses (CDLs), they can still make mistakes and misjudgments like any other driver. Some common forms of negligence by truck drivers are:
- Using smartphones and engaging in other distractions
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving too fast for road or weather conditions
- Aggressive driving or road rage
- Failing to conduct pre-trip inspections
- Violating hours of service limitation or other FMCSA regulations
- Violating traffic laws
- Driving with untreated health conditions
Drivers can be held liable for any type of negligent conduct that leads to a crash and injuries.
There are different situations in which trucking companies can be held liable for accidents involving their vehicles. First, if a driver is negligent, the trucking company that employs the driver can also be held liable. This is because the law holds employers liable for harm caused by negligent employees.
In addition to strict liability, a company might also be liable for its own negligence. This can include:
- Hiring untrained, unlicensed, or unsafe drivers
- Allowing drivers to operate vehicles without the proper endorsements
- Failing to supervise drivers and discipline dangerous conduct
- Not conducting the required drug and alcohol tests on drivers
- Failing to maintain the fleet of trucks
- Encouraging or covering up FMCSA violations
Sometimes, the cause of a crash can be traced back to company negligence.
OTHER THIRD PARTIES
There might be other parties that are liable for truck accidents, such as:
- Third-party cargo-loading crews
- Truck manufacturers that sell defective tires or truck parts
If there is a third party involved, that company should be liable for your losses. No matter who is responsible, your claim will usually be up against some type of corporation.
HOW A COLUMBUS TRUCK ACCIDENT ATTORNEY CAN HELP
While it would be nice if truck accident victims automatically got the compensation to which they are entitled under the law, that isn’t what happens. Unfortunately, trucking companies and their insurers actively try and limit how much they pay victims, which is why it’s so important for you to get a lawyer after a crash with a commercial truck. Some of the ways in which an attorney can help include:
- Evaluate your accident and determine whether you have a case
- Identify all potentially liable parties
- Draft a demand letter that identifies and quantifies all of your losses
- Attempt to negotiate a settlement offer on your behalf
- File a lawsuit against the at-fault party
As an accident victim, it’s important to remember that insurance companies are in the business of limiting their liability and have much more experience than you when it comes to settling trucking accident claims. The best way to even the playing field and protect your rights is to retain an experienced trucking accident lawyer in Columbus to represent you.
SPEAK TO THE RIGHT COLUMBUS TRUCK ACCIDENT LAWYER TODAY
At The Jones Firm, we know how to get truck accident victims the compensation they deserve under Ohio law. Columbus car accident lawyer Geoff Jones will review your case for free and determine whether you are entitled to damages. To schedule your free case evaluation, call 614-209-5162 or contact us online. Our law firm is dedicated to protecting the rights of injured accident victims, and we are ready to help you and your family.